City, town and village > Procedures > How To Inform a Change of Address in the UK


How to change your address in the UK

When you changed your address, you probably couldn’t wait to tell your family and friends. But, did you remember to notify your government about your change of address? Don’t worry. This is a very simple procedure that would only require good internet connection. Keep reading this article to find out why it’s beneficial to update your details and how to do it from the comfort of your own home.

How to change your address in the UK

Why should I do it?

Let’s face it, who wants to pay more taxes than they should? This is why informing Her Majesty’s Revenue and Custom (HMRC) about a change of address in the UK may avoid a potential headache. This is particularly important if you pay Income Tax, National Insurance Contributions, or receive State Pension, Tax credits or Child Benefit.

Who should I inform of a change of address?

Like we mentioned above, informing your change of address must be done to Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

How to notify a change of address

It is done online by using Government Gateaway only once you’ve moved home, not before. Simply click on the link, and follow the instructions that apply to your particular case. You’ll receive different advice depending on whether you:

  • • Pay tax through self-assessment
  • • Have a tax agent

Cost and processing time

This procedure is free of charge. Notice that it may take up to three working days for them to receive your update. Once they’ve processed it, you’ll either get an email confirming your change of details or asking for more information. For example, they may request you submit some documents as proof of your new address.

Other considerations

It may be necessary to notify other organizations, like banks, or utility companies, of your change of address beforehand. This will be helpful since the letters or documents they produce can be later used as proof of address when you update your details with HMRC. Here are some useful examples:

  • Electoral Roll: you can update your address on relocation with the electoral authorities. Re-registering your electoral roll online with your updated area can be done here.
  • Council Tax: remember to update your address on the website of your new council.
  • Energy supplier: updating your address with your energy supplier may take up to 2 days so make sure you give them at least 48hs' notice. Don't forget to contact the current supplier at your new home to tell them you’ve moved.

To sum up

When changing your address, it’s important to update your details with Her Majesty’s Revenue and Custom (HMRC). This can be done online easily and from home. You’ll be notified when the change is effected by mail. Once it’s done, your address update can be given to your employer or other government agencies if necessary.

How to inform a change of address
    You can also read:

- Applying for a National Insurance Number (NIN)

- How to Obtain a Police Certificate

- How to Get a Driving Licence in the UK