City, town and village > Travel > How To Obtain a Visa To Visit or Work in Australia


Visa Requirements For Travelling To Australia

Australia is a hugely popular country with not just Brits but people from all over the world. Once upon a time, many Brits loved the idea of emigrating “down under” and settling in Australia permanently.

Though many British people still move in huge numbers, stricter immigration policies introduced in the last few decades have made it harder for people to travel to Australia.

If you are considering going to Australia for work or a holiday, read this article to find out the visa requirements.

Visa Requirements To Travel To Australia

Why Brits Visit Australia

There are two main reasons why people from the UK visit Australia. The first is for holidays and the second is for work. Australia is a land of enormous opportunity coupled with fantastic warm weather. It offers great salaries, an excellent work-life balance, and many visitor and cultural attractions.

For these reasons, Australia has been an extremely attractive place to visit. But people must obtain a visa regardless of whether they want to go to the country for a holiday or work.

Do you need help with your visa? Are you unsure of what documentation you must submit? With you can make sure you have everything you need for your holidays. Just choose your nationality, insert your desired destination, and get the piece of mind you deserve before you travel.

What Visa Do You Need For A Holiday?

Any British citizen or a dual nationality holder can easily obtain a visa to travel for a holiday. There are different types of visas; let’s look at these in more detail.

eVisitor Visa (Subclass 651)

If you are travelling to Australia for less than 3 months, the simplest option is the eVisitor visa. You can obtain this visa by applying online. To get it, you will need to create an account online through ImmiAccount. To complete the application process and for Australia entry requirements, you will need a UK passport valid for 6 months after you arrive in the country.

With an eVisitor visa, though valid for 12 months, you can stay in Australia for 3 months at a time. That means you can return as many times as you wish within 12 months. This visa is free, there are no costs to apply, and it is available for UK citizens and many other European countries.

Electronic Travel Authority Visa (subclass 601)

People who are not citizens of the UK and other countries eligible for the eVisitor scheme will need to apply for this visa. Individuals who qualify for the eVisitor visa can also apply for this visa. But it is preferable to use the eVisitor visa as it has the same features as the Electronic Travel Authority and is accessible without any costs.

Like the eVisitor, this visa for Australia from the UK is valid for 12 months, and the person can stay in the country for a maximum of 3 months on each visit.

There is a service charge of AUD 20 for making the application.

In addition to being suitable for visitors, it can also act as a business visa. A person can make employment or business inquiries.

Tourist Stream Visa (Subclass 600)

This visa is usually issued for 3 months but can be given for 6 or 12 months, depending on the circumstances. Those who want to stay in Australia for longer than 3 months must make it clear in the application, and consideration is made on a case-by-case basis. It is the most appropriate visa for those wishing to visit Australia for over 3 months.

The difference between this visa and the eVisitor visa and Electronic Travel Authority Visa is that these last two only allow people to stay for 3 months maximum.

To apply, you will need:

  • A valid passport

  • • Proof you have enough money to support your time in Australia, such as bank statements or letters from family and friends inviting you to visit

  • Evidence that you’ll be returning home (for example, a letter from an employer to state you’ll be returning to your job)

There is a cost of AUD 150 to apply.

If you are already in Australia on another visa, such as Electronic Travel Authority or eVisitor, you could switch to this visa inland.

Visa Requirements For Work

It is common for professionals from the UK to migrate to Australia. They leave for higher wages, a better lifestyle, and to avoid the vast taxes paid by high earners in the UK.

The people who can apply for a working visa in Australia include those with employer sponsorship programs and those with high-demand skills. The second big group who leave the UK for Australia are young people under 30. Though they may not have any recognised skill levels, there are working holiday visa programs available which allow them to live and work in the country for a period of time.

Employer Nomination Scheme Visa (Subclass 186)

This Australian visa must be acquired through an employer. An employer recommendation allows a skilled person to work and is given permanent residency in the country. It means a relevant employer must recognise the person and offer them employment. A whole raft of jobs, from accountants, engineers, and medical professionals, fall into this category.

Temporary Skill Shortage (Subclass 482)

This temporary visa allows employers to sponsor skilled workers for roles Australians could not fill. The visa can last up to 4 years and covers many professions. You can find a list of professions that would fall into this and other classes of visa here. The cost for this visa starts at AUD 1330.

Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189)

The person must submit an expression of interest (EOI) and be invited by the Australian government to apply. There is no need to be invited by an employer to obtain this visa, and it allows people with in-demand skills to work and live permanently in Australia. There is a cost of AUD 4240.

Working And Holidaying In Australia

Australia has long been a top-rated destination for many people throughout the world. Its warm climate and visitor attractions are popular with tourists. The booming economy and fantastic salaries are attractive for those seeking to migrate for work.

Getting a tourist visa is relatively easy for British citizens, while a work visa is a little more involved. People under the age of 30 can obtain a temporary visa to work; others must possess an in-demand skill set to gain a visa and obtain access to the country.